Mr. Brett Swaney is an Assistant Research Fellow at the Institute for National Strategic Studies (INSS). His work focuses on NATO, Europe, and the Baltic Sea Region. Mr. Swaney also serves as the book review editor of Joint Force Quarterly, the premier journal of JPME at National Defense University.
Mr. Swaney joined INSS in 2016 as a research analyst. He holds a M.A. in Global Security Studies from Johns Hopkins University and a B.A. in History and International Relations from Grand Valley State University.
- From Citizen Soldier to Secular Saint: The Societal Implications of Military Exceptionalism with Susan Bryant and Heidi Urben, Texas National Security Review, Vol 4, Issue 2, Spring 2021.
- Baltics Left of Bang: The Southern Shore with Marcel Hadeed, Mariusz Kaminski, Monika Sus, and Amelie Theussen, National Defense University-Institute for National Strategic Studies, Strategic Forum 308, January 2021.
- Review of Shields of the Republic: The Triumph and Peril of America's Alliances by Mira Rapp-Hooper (2020) in The Strategy Bridge (28 October 2020).
- Baltics Left of Bang: Comprehensive Defense in the Baltic States with Dalia Bankauskaite, Janis Berzins, Tony Lawrence, Deividas Šlekys, T.X. Hammes, National Defense University-Institute for National Strategic Studies, Strategic Forum 307, September 2020.
- Baltics Left of Bang: Nordic Total Defense and Implications for the Baltic Sea Region with Håkon Lunde Saxi, Bengt Sundelius, National Defense University-Institute for National Strategic Studies, Strategic Forum 304, January 2020.
- Review of LikeWar: The Weaponization of Social Media by Peter Singer and Emerson T. Brooking (2018), in Joint Force Quarterly 94 (3rd Quarter, 2019).
- Review of War in 140 Characters: How Social Media is Reshaping Conflict in the Twenty-First Century by David Patrikarakos (2017), in Joint Force Quarterly 92 (1st Quarter, 2019)
- Deconstructing the "Warrior Caste:" The Beliefs and Backgrounds of Senior Military Elites with Susan Bryant, Institute for National Strategic Studies, Strategic Insights (July 2017)