Email | (202) 433-6382
Areas of Expertise: Nuclear arms control and nonproliferation; deterrence, extended deterrence, and assurance; law of war, treaty law, and confidence-building measures
Dr. Justin Anderson is a Research Fellow at National Defense University's Center for the Study of Weapons of Mass Destruction. His research focuses on deterrence (nuclear and non-nuclear), nuclear forces, and future nuclear arms control agreements and confidence-building measures (CBMs). Prior to joining the Center, he was a Senior Policy analyst at Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), providing research and analysis on arms control, nonproliferation, counter-WMD, and deterrence issues to the Air Force, USSSTRATCOM, Defense Threat Reduction Agency, and OSD Office of Treaty Compliance.Dr Anderson was the lead analyst for an SAIC research team that received the 2011 Major General Robert E. Linhard Award for Outstanding Research from the Air Force Institute of National Security Studies for their paper Qualitative Considerations of Nuclear Forces at Lower Numbers and Implications for Future Arms Control Negotiations. From 2009-10, in support of OSD Office of the General Counsel/International Affairs, he served as Editor of the Department of Defense Law of War Manual. Dr. Anderson has also taught at George Mason University, the Joint Services Command and Staff College (U.K.), King’s College London, and Brookes University. He was a 2003 Marshall Scholar and a 2000 Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Junior Fellow. He has a PhD and MA in War Studies from King’s College London and a BA in Diplomacy and World Affairs from Occidental College.
- Justin Anderson, “Nuclear Weapons and the Laws of War (cont.),” Arms Control Wonk, May 11, 2016.
- Justin Anderson, “Applying Jus In Bello to the Nuclear Deterrent,” Arms Control Wonk, March 14, 2016.
- Justin Anderson and Darci McDonald, “21st Century Nuclear Arms Control: A Framework for the Next Generation of Treaty Negotiations … and Treaty Negotiators” in Project on Nuclear Issues – A Collection of Papers from the 2015 Conference Series edited by Sarah Minot (New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2016):1-20.
- Justin Anderson, Thomas Devine, and Rebecca Gibbons, “Nonproliferation and Counterproliferation,” Oxford Bibliographies, March 2014.
- Justin Anderson, Walt Conrad, and Sarah Jacobs-Gamberini, “International Space Negotiations, Emerging Space Powers, and U.S. Efforts to Protect the Military Use of Space,” Space and Defense Vol 7, No 1 (Winter 2014): 6-25.
- Justin Anderson and Jeff Larsen (with Polly Holdorf), Extended Deterrence and Allied Assurance: Key Concepts and Current Challenges for U.S. Policy, Air Force Institute for National Security Studies Occasional Paper #69, September 2013.
- Justin Anderson, Walt Conrad, and Sarah Jacobs. “Arms Control in the Third Space Age,” Space and Defense Vol. 6, No. 1 (Fall 2012): 4-21.
- Justin Anderson, Darci Bloyer, Thomas Devine, Rebecca Gibbons, and Jeff Larsen, Qualitative Considerations of Nuclear Forces at Lower Numbers and Implications for Future Arms Control Negotiations, Air Force Institute for National Security Studies Occasional Paper #68, July 2012.
- Justin Anderson, “Nonviolent Solutions to U.S. National Security Challenges: American Peace Church Advocates Address American Foreign Policy and the ‘War on Terror,’” 382-391 in Stefan Heuser and Hans G. Ulrich, eds., Political Practices and International Order, Lit Verlag, 2007.